This is, without doubt, one of my all-time favourite dishes. There are few things that compare to the delicious, inviting aroma emanating from the kitchen when this chicken is roasting to perfection. Stuffed with garlic and lemon, drizzled with butter and rosemary, with some extra lemon juice for good measure, this is a hit that you’ll be making for years to come. The fragrant woody taste of the rosemary is perfectly matched with the creaminess of the butter, making the skin crisp and tasty. The citrus flavours are complimented with crushed garlic cloves and the entire dish comes together beautifully!
Roast Chicken with Garlic, Lemon and Rosemary
- 1.5 kg chicken, washed and giblets removed
- 2-3 lemons
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 6 garlic cloves
- 50g melted butter
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
Making it happen:
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F). Remove the giblets if necessary, wash the chicken under running water and pat dry. Season the chicken thoroughly, on both sides and inside the cavity, with salt and pepper.
2. Cut 2 of the lemons into quarters, crush the garlic cloves and stuff inside the cavity. Melt the butter, add the rosemary leaves, two tablespoons of olive oil and the juice of half a lemon. Pour over the chicken and make sure it’s spread across the entire chicken, including underneath.
3. Roast the chicken at 200°C for half an hour, remove from the oven and pour the juices over it. Turn down the heat to 180°C (350°F) and roast the chicken for another hour. If it’s not done after an hour, roast it for another 10 minutes.
The result is a a moist, tender chicken with crispy, buttery, zesty skin and meat infused with garlic and lemon.
No no, I wasn’t drunk! I did, however, get the food tipsy! I love the convenience factor of this recipe. That all you have to do is mix some stuff together (and, in my case, steal a beer from my husband), chop a few things and pour into a slow cooker is very appealing to me when I’m having a lazy day. It is tender, people, so very tender, and tasty too. You can add barbecue sauce to the pork once you’ve shredded it, that’s entirely up to you. I popped some bread rolls into the oven and crisped them, added the pork and mustard and served with potato wedges. It’s so easy! This is the perfect recipe to put on in the morning, go about your day and come home to a perfectly cooked piece of delicious pork, or put on before you go to bed and wake up to a kitchen that smells irresistible!
2kg (4.5lbs) pork shoulder
350ml (±12oz) beer (preferably dark, such as Guinness or Castle Milk Stout)
1 x tin whole peeled tomatoes
2 teaspoons paprika
4 sliced garlic cloves
1 teaspoon cumin
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1 chopped onion
3 chopped carrots
Place the pork in your slow cooker. In a bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients together, stirring well to ensure they’re well mixed. Pour over the pork and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8 hours.
Carefully remove the meat from the slow cooker and shred. This is easy because it’s so tender and basically just falls apart. Scoop out the carrots from the slow cooker and discard. Put the shredded pork into a large bowl and mix some of the juices with it.
Serve on toasted bread rolls with mustard (or barbecue sauce or whatever you prefer).
Do you ever have days where you want something tasty for dinner but don’t feel like slaving? Of course you do! Enter this recipe. Sweet, succulent, tender chicken breasts with zingy ginger makes this meal delicious and best of all, it’s easy, as in 5 minutes of prep time easy. In requires one step. Yes, one, which goes to show that delicious food need not take you all day!
I favour bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts. The meat falls off the bone, falls! It’s tender, juicy and packed with flavour and requires very little PT. Mix the ingredients, pour over the chicken and slow cook for a few hours, turning once. That’s all there is to it!
Slow Cooked Teriyaki Chicken
- 6 chicken breasts, bone-in and skin-on
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 chopped onion
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup lite soy sauce (I used chilli flavour but you can use plain)
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
Place the chicken in a slow cooker (crock pot). Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and pour over the chicken. Cover and
slow-cook for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low, turning once halfway through. Serve directly out of the slow cooker with rice.