“Hmmm… yummy!” is what comes to mind when I make this meal. This is such a crowd pleaser – crispy bacon, creamy, cheesy veggies added to gnocchi and baked to golden brown perfection! Yummers! Do it! Do it now!
Creamy Baked Gnocchi with Bacon, Mushrooms and Broccoli
Stuff dreams are made of:
- 200g bacon, chopped
- 250g white button mushrooms, washed and cut into thirds
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced, or 1-2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 500g broccoli, broken into florets and cooked in boiling water for 4 minutes (parboiled but firm)
- Gnocchi, cooked per package instructions
For the cheese sauce:
- 50g butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon hot English mustard
- 250ml cream
- 250ml milk
- 1 teaspoon fine black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 300g grated Cheddar cheese
Making it happen:
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F). Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat and add the garlic, bacon and mushrooms. Fry for five minutes until the mushrooms have browned (or let the bacon fry for a little longer to get it crispy). While this is cooking, parboil the broccoli.
2. For the cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the flour and mustard to make a roux paste. Slowly add the milk and cream while constantly stirring with a whisk. Once the sauce has thickened, add the salt and pepper and mix well. Take the pot off the heat and stir in half the cheese.
3. Place the broccoli and gnocchi in a large ovenproof dish and add the mushrooms and bacon. Mix well. Pour the sauce over the veggies and again, mix well. Sprinkle the remaining half of the cheese on top and place the dish uncovered in the oven for 30 minutes until the cheese is golden brown. Take the dish out and allow it to stand for a few minutes before serving.